|Rights||In Copyright (InC)|
|Rights Holder||Alice Smith, Milford, Utah|
|Publisher||Digitized by J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah|
4 AMilfort Monitor : | | 19, 1996 _ JANUARY : PAGE 2 | Tamara Lynne Williams Sims, _. daughter of W.C. & Marlene Williams of Silver City, New Mexico : and Robert Dee Green, son of Robert & Mary Joan Green of Phoenix, Arizona _ will be married on Saturday, January 20, 1996 at the LDS 1st Ward Church, Beaver, Utah. The wedding will be at 11:00 a.m. with the Reception to follow at 1:00 p.m. ke The couple will reside in Beaver. : The Methodist Church was later moved to its present ‘The United Methodist Church, completed in 1909. Flavor is added to Milford’s history by other religious organizations who joined the Mormon -Pioneers in Utah’s first century. Following is a first-hand account of one such group. Earliest _ records of the “Ladies Aid” are September, 1916. The organization later became known as the “Women’s Society of Christian Service” before evolving to their present status as “United Methodist “Women.” Regardless of the name, it is apparent that the Methodist women were a determined group location on 100 West. When the old building was torn down in 1962, the : bell was proudly 3 On July 7, 1905, the first Protestant Sunday School in Milford was organized. Rev. W.H. placed in this tower _ Warrell, a representative of the American Sunday _as early as 1905. ; Typed and Edited by Mrs. LaVena Wilson, August 24, 1955. School Union, came from Salt Lake City, and with _ four adults and about twelve children began the work in Milford. The four adults were Mrs. W. F Cottrell, Mrs. James Glenn, Mrs. Harry Jones and Mrs. Laborius. (right) in front of the new church. There was not one cent for material or song books. Some families had a Bible, and others did not. The building used for Sunday school was the frame structure at the rear of Mrs. Lottie Smyth’s home, and now (1955) used as a garage. This was Mrs. Jones’ home. Mrs. Harry Jones was elected superintendent and Mrs. Laborius: secretary. At 9:13 A.M. on January 4, 1996 it joined bells all The Sunday School continued to meet at Mrs.Jones’ home until September, when they. moved away. Mrs. Laborius also left Milford, but the Sunday School was carried on at Mrs. over Utah ina Cottrell’s house until October, when they were quarantined for scarlet fever. By November, wher. we the quarantine was lifted and Sunday School resumed, the group gathered.members. They becam . sal ule to 100 Shissttd enthusiastic about building a church, Dr. H. J. Talbot, Superintendent of Utah Missions, bought de of statehood. lots up the hill near the water tank, as they expected the town to grow in that direction. . They are now (again, 1955) occupied by the homes of Ezra Lyman and Burnett Fotheringham.. A parsonage; was built as a duplex, with one apartment rented out. = fel ace ae ~ iy ; Gauthier assisted Early in January, 1906, Rev. D. E. Carter and wife were sent here by Dr. Talbot to take Rev. charge of the work which was supported entirely by missionary funds. Wagner in the Mrs. Carter was a musician, “ceremony. (below) and Dr. Talbot said there was an old cabinet organ that could be sent to Milford if the Sunday School; would pay the freight. So the organ was sent down, and with that accompaniment, the singing Was. _ much improved and enjoyed. The parishioners were as proud as though it had just come from: thé’ factory. oo Greg . and Debbie ~ : oe Dr. Carter moved into the newly constructed parsonage in late 1907 or early 1908.. AL” But the of,a church on the hill didn’t appeal to the Milford group. About this time Rev. -Warrell came |. _and solicited funds. for buying a permanent site for a-church building Negotiations:were*soon : idea underway for the present location (remember, we are still in 1955) on the East side of Main Street at 200 South. An old store building was on the lot at that time. In it there were three kerosene lamps’. and an old “worn-out” heating stove. By this time, the Sunday School Union had supplied literature to be used in the classes, and buy funds were running short. With the few remaining dollars, they.. purchased some lumber and Mr. W. F. Cottrell built the six wooden benches that are still (1955) used by the small children. They were very much encouraged and happy to have a meeting place of their...) own when they moved in December, 1906. They had only a few old song books, but the children soon learned all of the words and sang with enthusiasm. tee ey Dr. Carter stayed until 1909, during which time the parsonage on the hill and church on Main _ Street were built. The $1,800.00 raised to build the church seemed like a miracle, with such a small Protestant group earning such small wages. Dr. Carter was a very fine pastor and had a class of boys . of which Harry Forgie and Roy Cottrell were pupils. ae oa" In 1922 or 1923, the church people decided to move the parsonage down from the hill and’ put it near the church. Mr. Elam Fputs did the job. Dr. Lace, Superintendent at that time, had all the partitions changed to make it into one home and do away with the duplex. It took several months to remodel it, but it was finished about 1923, and Mr. Zook, the pastor at that time moved in. _ Dr.Alam Signs 3-Year Contract With Milford Valley Health Care Services “Many things have happened which might have closed School these forty years. AndI'm Obituaries ® the doors, but there was the|, promise of His word, “Behold, I\' have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it.” Except during the flu epidemic in 1918, there has been regular Sunday ae brothers, Verl Frazier of Upland, ® Joseph Alvin ‘AU’ Frazier POWELL, Wyo - Joseph Alvin "Al" Frazier, 79, died Saturday evening, Dec. 30, 1995, at the Powell Hospital. He was born Oct. 2, 1916, in Milford, Utah thankful for the privilege of being | the son of William P. and Jesse part of the work to help others to White Frazier. He. married learn Bible truths and to know Esteline Nunnery on Feb. 27, Him as friend and Savior. original. members Two of the first Sunday School are Mrs. James Glenn and Mrs. Jos. Tribole. the latter has been our organist for thirty-six years. With the added conveniences of more class rooms and more land, there adults, children, should have and been greater results than have been _ accomplished, and. by faith, prayer, hard work and regular | attendance, much can be done for His sake. May God's blessing be _with you all as you ‘Carry On.’” The above quote is from Mrs. Cottrell, herself, as written in 1949. the story of the Sunday After six months as a volunteer assistant to Dr. Bradley School and church has been given Spaulding, Dr. Saroor Alam has joined the medical staff at Milford from notes she made at that time. Valley Health Care Services as an Internal Medicine and Family Practice Physician. He will be seeing patients in Milford at the hospital and clinic starting immediately, and the Minersville Clinic as soon as it opens. In addition to general appointments, he will She has been the great moving factor inthe success of this undertaking fr the building God’s Kingdom in Milford, and we. all honor her and love her for her yéars accept referrals from other physicians to deal with advanced of dedicated devotion to the greatest diagnosis and treatment of complicated heart and lung cases. Dr. Alam’s wife, Suma, is also a physician. They have a 3- year-old daughter, Zoya. The family resides in Milford. work of service to her fellowmen. Special thanks to Rev. Wagner for sharing this with us. 1939, at Lamar, Colo. He worked 18 years for the Denver & Rio Grande, Western Railroad as ' superintendent. signal a In 1954, the ‘national Merit Finalist. in 1991, he received two degrees with | owned and operated the Powell honors from the University of | Ready Mix .concrete Company Texas at Austin, a BS. in _ and the Cody Concrete Company mathematics and a B. S.- in for 39 years. He was a member physics. The University of | of the Masonic Lodge 65 of California at. Los Angeles ' Glenwood Springs, Kalif Shrine awarded him a Masters degree in Temple and the Defar Shrine physics in .1993.. He was. | Club. He had a private pilot's currently almost finished with his license and he enjoyed flying, Ph.D. in physics at UCLA. fishing, hunting and golf. ~~ He is survived by his six . . Survivors include his wife, siblings, Tamara Lyn, Peter Esteline; three sons, Gerald Alvin Nathaniel Moblard, Deborah Frazier and sons, Kevin and Lyn, William "Anthony", Shannon in Hawaii, Thomas Timothy Charles, and AnnaJoseph Frazier and his wife, Marie Martin, his maternal Margie Malone of Portland, Ore.,. grandparents, Albert and Evelyn and Charles Lloyd Frazier and Moblard of San Diego, wife, Jody Allen and their California, and his _ paternal children, Shawn, Jason and grandparents, PeterS. and Leila Kaela of Powell; a daughter, Martin of Milford. 3 Mrs. Troy L. (Janna) Nordmen . A Christopher Rulon Martin of Powell; a sister, Mrs. Sara Memorial Scholarship fund for Meyers of Milford, Utah; two Medical Scientific Scholarships family moved to Powell where he has been established. Calif, and Lane Frazier of Contributions can be sent to: Rulon Martin Powell; and three great- Christopher grandchildren. ‘Memorial Fund _ - Cremation has taken place. .McAllen National Bank 1 Park Place, McAllen, TX. Private family memorial services 78503 are planned at-a later date. Many thanks to everyone Easton Funeral Home is in for their help and support during charge of arrangements. our time of grief. See Christopher Rulon Martin 1/17/71 - 1/3/96 Dr. & Mrs. William R. Martin Christopher R. Martin, son and family of Dr. William Rulon Martin and Mr. & Mrs. Peter S. Martin and - eS Claire Marie Moblard - Martin family passed away Jan. 3, 1996. He Marjorie “Peggy” Dalton was his high _school's A memorial service will valedictorian in 1989 and a be held Monday, January 22, 1996 at Milford) Methodist “Peggy” January Memorial 2:00 P.M. at the Community United Church for Marjorie Dalton. She died 8 at the Milford Hospital, where she had been a resident in ill health | for about a year. “Peggy” was born in Long Branch, New Jersey in 1913. She and her husband, Lyle “Ike” Dalton, were in business in Milford for many years prior to his death. She is survived by two brothers and two sisters who live in the east, and by step-children, Clark Dalton and Mrs. Ron Brinkman of Milford and Llya Hunter of Livermore, California. Burial will be at the Minersville Cemetery under the direction of Olpin Mortuary.