"News Bulletin" Becomes "South East Independent" It was just twenty-two years ago this autumn that the first issue of the Sugar House Bulletin was pulled from the press of 0. C. and Irene Conniff. During its lifetime, the Bulletin has changed hands several times, and has recorded the progress and growth of the community, which has become so large that the name of the paper must be changed to more fully identify itself with the area it services. O. C. Conniff (now deceased), operated a printing business at 2044 South 11th East during the Depression years. Finally, business, got so slow that he and Irene decided de-cided to publish a paper so they would be using the expensive printing equipment they owned. The first issue was four columns and eight pages. Circulation was about 800 at a subscription rate of $1.00 per year. Hiram Young, now bishop of Richards Ward, Sugar House Stake, was advertising manager. man-ager. Irene recalls that, "We worked hard, but the paper so fascinated us that we were never too tired to keep going to get it out." The Coriniffs decided to sell the paper in 1945, and Ted (Scene Today) Cannon and Wilby Durham became the publishers. "I hoped that eventually the paper would grow large enough to become a daily," said Irene. "Salt Lake really needs a third paper. Maybe as the Independent, The Bulletin has accomplished what we set out to do." After a few years, Ted and Wilby sold the paper to James Cannon, who published the Bulletin and served as executive secretary of the Sugar House Chamber pi Commerce at the same time. Jim added some new features, but soon saw that Sugar House was growing grow-ing too rapidly for him to take enough time from his C of C duties to edit the paper. Tom and Bob Evans of Amen- can Fork took over operation in the name to News Bulletin and tiie spring of 19;2, and changed later puivlmsed "Out Hoiladay Way." The paper is published by Clair and Emma King at 1023 East 21st South, where the Kings also operate the Sugar House Press.