October THE EUREKA (UTAH) REPORTER 2 f, 1963 Pam Thirteen Several events mark past in Eureka City's history Eureka became a city on November 8, 1892. The first mayor was Hugo Deprezn; councilmen were C. W. Clark, H. F. Fullride, Pat Donnelly, M. C. Sullivan, and W. D. Myers; treasurer, W. F. Shriver; recorder, T. W. Blue; marshall, Gus J. Henriod. The most serious fire ever to occur in Eureka was on July 10, 1893. Twenty buildings were destroyed, with an estimated loss of $50,000. Another disaster to strike Eureka was the flash flood on July 14, 1896. It was reported on that water was waist-dee- p Main Street. Two lives were lost, John H. McChrystal, Sr., died of a heart attack brought on by exertion, and one other person was drowned. Gus J. Henriod was credited with saving the life of another man. Damage to property ran into thousands of dollars. The First Tintic Silver Jubilee celebration was held on 's August 28, 1929. It was largest celebration. It marked the 60th anniversary of the discovery of the first Tin-tic- entertainment consisted of a big pamine. The two-da- y rade, which depicted the pioneers of Tintic, a barbecue, a banquet, an especially fine program, at which many of the older residents were honored. We would like to list many of them, but space doesn't permit doing so. A tragic accident marred the celebration, when an airplane crashed on Main Street. The pilot came to Eureka to carry passengers and at the time of the crash his passengers were M'ss Helen Strong, 16, of Silver City and Kenneth Jones, of Eureka. The plane 19, struck the bell tower on the City Hall and then crashed into the side of the Taylor Bros, store, then fell to the ground. Kenneth Jones died that afternoon in a Salt Lake hospital. The Silver Jubilee celebration was carried on for a number of years, the last one was held in June of 1951. With so many people leaving the District, it was almost impossible to care for the hundreds of people who came to Eureka to celebration. join in the two-da- y We hope to revive it soon Our present mayor and city council are as follows: Mayor, Charles Ferris; councilmen, Curtis Butler, Ted Johnson, Robert Fife, Herbert Curwen, Oris Sanderson; Marshal, Joseph Bernini; night Watchman, Hank Bates; recorder, Alliene Farren; Franks treasurer, Anna Eureka City has been a progressive town through the years, with telegraph and telephone service in the town since the 1890's. In 1895, the Eureka Electric Light Co. was given a franchise, which furnished lights nutil it was taken over by the Utah Power and Lght Company. There is a modern post office on Main Street and a sewer system has been in use for many years. The city operates an efficient water system. Main Street is paved and curbed and the Wece IP IP d Ted Hannifin operates the hoist at the newly opened Mammoth Mine 800-folevel of the mine. Ing Company. Hoist operation is on the October 13, 1909 Mayor James D. Stack was inst nr mental in starting the princ!pal side streets have cement sidewalks and curbing, and an efficient volunteer fire department has been active since 1893. clo dl off a c ft dd e s Bn 5 p 1? wavs : 0 mines with huge electric pumps. Lifted ore loads to the surface with electric hoists. Brought good ventilation and compressed air deep into the earth with electric equipment. Increased safety with electric lighting. Lighcned work of miners through electrically charging the batteries which power their personal equipment. Moved ore in the mines with hauling equipment powered by electricity or electrically charged batteries. Yes, wcrc proud of our role move toward getting a library Library dedicated Through half a century Reddy Kilowatt has helped minings progress in the Kurcka area in these and other I oerated by New Park Mia ot in helping lift minings load ! Utah Power & Light Co. for Eureka. He appointed a committee on March 26, 1908, consisting of many well remembered names, W. F. Shriver, Andrew Mitchell, James Knowles, M. D. Howlett, Charles Zabriskie, Patrick J. Fennell, Gus J. Henroid, E. R. Pike and Hugo Deprezin. Thru the efforts of the committee and the Mayor, Andrew Car 01? SM-Vea- ir wnitlh) ROnouninig! negie gave the sum of $11,000 to which the city added $6,200 of city funds. The building was completed on Oct. 9, 1909 and was dedicated on Cct. 13, 1909, and the newly elected Mayor, Andrew Mitchell made the acceptance speech at a public dinner given in celebration of the completion of the library building.